Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Do Your Friends Inspire You?

Do Your Friends Inspire You?
We are all teachers and students of each other. Everyone should have a mix of friends. The first type of friend should raise us to new levels of awareness and abilities, someone that inspires and encourages us. These people are our mentors. Everyone needs a mentor, weather they know it or not. The other type of friend that is important to have is one that we can mentor and bring to higher levels of understanding and awareness.
I know a woman that has been a total inspiration to me. Unfortunately, she has no idea that I hold her in such high regard. We have known each other for a few years. This person is so nice and caring. I realize she simply sees me as an acquaintance but I see her as a true friend. I say that because she has raised my level of awareness. I have a tremendous amount of love and respect for her. Even since we first met she has inspired me to be a better person. I can think of no greater compliment to tell another person than how they have inspired me in such a deep and meaningful way. Our paths may never cross again and that’s okay because the things I’ve learned and realized from knowing her will serve me well.
The most important legacy each of us is responsible for are the positive changes we have made in the lives of others. My aunt Betty has been my inspiration to study self improvement programs for most of my adult life. The things I have learned from her guidance will inspire my family for generations to come. The most immediate affect of learning how to make positive changes in my life is in how I choose to raise my children. The ways in which I teach them to conduct themselves will in time be passed down to their kids. One of the most important things I can teach my kids is to always look for ways to become a better person and a blessing to others. Observing the ways other people conduct themselves has taught me plenty. I love to learn and live to learn new things every day. We all learn many things from others on a subconscious level. When I observe others on a conscious level I learn a lot more from them. I have made it my mission to understand and listen to other people. Call me crazy but I actually enjoy listening to other people talk most of the time. I do deplore ignorance though.

No comments: