Friday, November 21, 2008

I Learned Something From a Classic

The other morning I woke up at six and turned on the t.v. Star Trek was on. I watched for awhile just out of hysterical fascination. Billy Schatner was running around without his shirt and all I could think was Denny Crane. The lines were as corny as the lasers. It was funny. I never really tuned into this show in the past. If it was a choice between pro bowling and Star Trek then I’d turn off the t.v. My dad used to watch this show all the time when I was a little kid (he probably still does).
I did learn something interesting about myself. After Captain Kirk died for the 23rd time Bones revives Kirk with a flash light. It made an interesting whistling noise. I was exercising at the time but I picked up on this noise. I recognized this variable tone instantly. I make the same whistling sound. I’ve done this since I was a kid and I never thought about why. I never sat a watched Star Trek with the old man but I often used to play with my toys while he watched. On a sub-conscious level I believe the reason I make that whistling sound was learned from that show.
Do you ever think about the environment you’ve chosen for yourself and the way it shapes you as a person? Sure on a conscious level we make decisions and choices all day long. Do you ever consider the amount of information we take in on a sub-conscious level? Even when you leave the room during a t.v. commercial and focus on something else, if you can still hear the t.v. you are receiving information on a sub-conscious level. I now record any shows I choose to watch on t.v. I decided to start doing this a few weeks ago. I just became so tired of every other commercial being about a new medicine. The other half of the commercials were about negative politics.
Our environment shapes who we are and how we behave on unthinkable levels. How healthy is your environment? Just a thought.
TLC guy

1 comment:

shelleyraye said...

Very interesting insight. I agree that there are too many commerical and inforamtion being thrown at us and we aren't even aware of them at a subconscious level.