Monday, January 19, 2009

I MISS THAT KID…A STORY OF “SECERT” SHIFTERS

My son Elias is a beautiful soul. This guy is now 16 years old. We don’t talk like we used to. I miss that. I love him more than he will ever know (at least until he has his own kids).
My mom smothered me with so much love when I was a kid. I’m a lot like her with my kids. I know why now that I’m an adult. I was the little guy that filled the void between the love she wasn’t getting from my dad. My dad, God bless the agnostic. He just didn’t have the love to give.
The book “The Secret” has a mental exercise to lift your spirits when you’re down. I’ve done this for years myself. The Secret calls it “secret shifters”. What you do is recall a circumstance or event in your life that makes you feel happy.
One of my “shifters” happened a couple weeks after my wife and I split up. Eli and I painted his little sisters room to surprise her. We painted it pink. When we were done I gave Eli the job of cleaning the brush, roller and pan in the bath tub with warm water. He turned a 5 minute job into about a half an hour worth of work. When I went in to check on him I asked him what was taking so long. He turns to me with a serious look in his eyes and says, “Dad, I have to get ALL of this pink paint off of this stuff. I didn’t want your buddies to see it.” God bless him. He thought that if my guy friends saw any pink paint on my stuff that they would think I’m weird or something. He was just trying to protect me. When I think about that it always makes me smile.
My other favorite story about Eli happened when he was learning to talk. We were getting ready to eat dinner in front of the t.v. and Elias said scullovelie. I’m like WHAT? He says scullovelie again. I still didn’t understand what he wanted. He said it 3 or 4 more times, each time getting a little louder, madder, and more intense, Then he said, “I wanna watch the scullovelie channel”. He just loved the discovery channel when he was little and that was what he was trying to say. That was so cute, I will never forget it.
Elias is the same age as John Travolta and Kelly Preston’s son. Even though I wish I was closer to my son at least he is still alive, I understand how hard it can be to be a teenager and I know he is searching for his identity. I will always be here for you Elias with all of the unconditional love I have to give. For John and Kelly, I am very sad for your loss and I can’t imagine what you both must be going through. To hell with the scrutiny of the press, your both very loving parents. One thing no one can ever take away from us parents are the precious memories we are blessed with from our children.

No comments: